PERRY-MGTF
Αρχαίος
Αρχαίος
Επικοινωνία:

Κ-Series βελτίωση στα 245 ps

Δημοσίευση από PERRY-MGTF »

Posted - 14 February 2005 09:21 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Message

report this post
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

I started this development project back in July 2004, having spent some time with Jason Langan at Hellier Performance. His experience in Professional race engine construction from time spent at Brian Hart's Formula 1engine shop and Janspeed and on the Nissan touring car engines was most impressive. His enthusiasm to develop this engine alongside his normal work of building winning Super 1600 , Group A and Junior WRC K series , Toyotas, Fords, Fiats and even a supercharged Bristol engine for European customers, was evident. So together we designed a build specification based around my intended use.

The Design Brief :
1900 cc K series, moderate compression ratio for pump fuel, 3 ring medium skirt pistons, preferred maximum 8000 rpm to aid longetivity, 240 bhp minimum, 160lb minimum, very quiet induction so that I don’t get thrown off anywhere, std R500 clutch.
Engine to be used for Hillclimbs and Sprints so driveability, large useable power band with good flat torque is preferred.

What did Hellier Performance provide ?

245bhp @ 7795 rpm, 173ft/lb torque @ 6731rpm on Emeralds rollers. The power band is fantastic with more than 163lb torque available from 5400rpm through to 7800rpm. An yet it still has 140 lb torque at 4200rpm . With the airbox fitted we only lost 2bhp at peak and 3bhp at 5500rpm , but gained significant power and torque below 5000rpm owing to the pulse effect inside the box .

Using the 6 speed gearbox I will be able to change up at 7900rpm through the last 3 gears and not fall below 225 bhp whilst riding a crest of torque of between 173lb and 165lb . I’ll post the power graph and some pictures of the engine on the website as soon as I can .

I took it out on the road yesterday and the engine was amazingly smooth and vibration free owing to the extensive balancing, the lack of inertia meant that the engine was so free revving and sharp on throttle response it was fantastic thumbs up.

As a comparison against my last engine, there is a stretch of tarmac local to me where from a 10mph rolling start I could achieve 116 mph past a permanent marker. I tried the same test yesterday and I reached 132mph . I checked this twice ! . This thing was wheelspining in a straight line in 3rd gear with warm supersoft 32R’s on a dry road ! .

This is, to quote Dave Walker at Emerald – where the engine was setup on Saturday “one ****ing animal of an engine, with the best spread of power and the most torque I has ever seen from a K series, who needs a Duratec?”

The Build spec:
All new parts –
New machined and modified block – modified oil ways and improved seal location.
1900 cc inserted liner conversion, honed to Hellier specification.
Modified “turbo”oil pump
Modified water pump
Modified oil gallery feed
Caterham dry sump pan with modified baffle plate
Hellier alloy crank pulley
Titan R500 Flywheel
R500 AP clutch
3 ring forged pistons machined to Hellier specification, rings to Hellier specification .
Carrillo Steel rods
Steel Crank to Hellier specification
Mike Satur head gasket
Steel Hellier dowels modified to suit oil feed diameter
MS2 head ported by Hellier
“bigger” bespoke inlet valves produced to Hellier Specification
“bigger” exhaust valves to Hellier Specification
New inserted valve seats , 3 angle cut
Piper double valve springs
Piper titanium caps
Hellier design extra long valve guides
Hellier design valve stem seals
Hellier Specification inlet and exhaust cams
Jenvey 42mm modified and mated to head, direct to head throttle bodies
Peco injectors
Modified Bernard Scouse Air Box with KN filter and cold air feed .
Siemens coil pack
Magnecore ignition leads
NGK plugs
SLR 4-2-1 manifold - modified
Self made Exhaust silencer
Titan dry sump pump
Wet sump bell housing
Self designed dry sump oil tank in bulkhead
Hellier design header tank
Engine internals fully ballanced by Hellier

We believe that the current specification has significant restrictions in the size and design of the manifold and throttle bodies . These will be addressed in the near future to release more power.

Many thanks to Hellier Performance for the support and time taken in this project, now I’ve got to learn to drive it again !
MG TF - 80th Anniversary Edition #869 of 1600
Owning an MG is one of life's great joys

Εικόνα
crAss
Παλιός
Παλιός
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από crAss »

Όλα γίνονται με καλή θέληση...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Αλήθεια σε τι αυτοκίνητο μπήκε? Κανένα caterham? Lotus Elise? MG?
Life is too short not to...
PERRY-MGTF
Αρχαίος
Αρχαίος
Επικοινωνία:

Δημοσίευση από PERRY-MGTF »

Νομίζω ήτανε σε Caterham
MG TF - 80th Anniversary Edition #869 of 1600
Owning an MG is one of life's great joys

Εικόνα
Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Μηχανικές βελτιώσεις”